Legal Counsel – Mining
To apply, send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org or apply directly at the link below
My client in the mining industry is looking for Legal Counsel to join their team in Bryanston.
Reporting to the Senior Legal Counsel, this role will be a key member of the Legal team, working closely with the Senior Legal Counsel to provide legal advice on operational contractual, regulatory, HSE and employment matters across the Group, as well as, where required, support the Company Secretarial team on company secretarial matters and governance advice for the Group’s South African subsidiaries and general administrative support for the Executive and Operating Committees and Legal team. The role will also assist with the proper management of the Group’s property portfolio
The position will be based in Gauteng and will have no direct reports.
Applications close 30 August 2021.
- With oversight from the Senior Legal Counsel, provide clear, commercially aware legal advice and support on operational, HSE and employment matters across the Group, including, without limitation, draft and negotiate operational agreements, advise on applicable regulatory requirements and review reports and submissions to be made to the regulators
- Assist in proper management of property portfolio, including, without limitation, ownership and lease agreements and analysing and presenting property status and management reports and accurately recording title deeds of property owned by the Company in registers
- Support the Senior Legal Counsel in identifying and managing the Group’s legal risks, consistent with applicable law and the company’s risk tolerance and strategic objectives
- Support the Senior Legal Counsel on governance matters related to the BEE shareholders and, where required, support the Company Secretarial team to maintain the statutory books and records required for each South African Group company and to ensure good subsidiary governance for such entities
- Where required, support the Company Secretarial team to provide company secretarial and administrative support to the Group’s Executive and Operating Committees
- Support the Senior Legal Counsel on POPIA and PAIA matters and maintain POPIA and PAIA registers
- Ensure proper record keeping for contracts, correspondence and other documents
- Adhere to and promote the Group’s policies and procedures and report non-compliance to the Senior Legal Counsel
- Comply with the Group’s Health, Safety and Environment standards and procedures and report non-compliance to the Senior Legal Counsel
- Support the Senior Legal Counsel in identifying changes to applicable laws and in the provision of legal training to the Group
- Provide general administrative support to the Legal team.
- Form effective and successful relationships with and be a key member of the Legal and Company Secretarial teams (including the Group General Counsel & Company Secretary)
- Collaborate and partner across Group functions and Business Units in providing operations with legal advice, in particular working with operational departmental supervisors within the HSE, employment, social compliance and sustainability
- Maintain good relationships with Regulators and Consultative Organisations (i.e.: DMRE, Minerals Council of South Africa, Department of Public Works and Infrastructure, South African Diamond and Precious Metals Regulator, Department of Environmental Affairs, Forestry and Fisheries) in the achievement of the Group’s objectives
- Support the Senior Legal Counsel in engaging, instructing and building effective and successful relationships with external attorneys
- BA Law or LLB degree from a recognised higher education institution
- Minimum 3 to 5 years’ post-qualification experience in a mining Legal environment whether in-house or in practice
- Knowledge of and experience of advising on legal matters for the mining industry in South Africa, including MPRDA, Mining Charter, property laws, diamond laws, environmental laws and other relevant legislation, regulations and case law that has a bearing on mining in South Africa
- Knowledge and experience of drafting and reviewing agreements relevant to mining operations in South Africa
- Computer Literacy (Microsoft Office Suite)
- South African company secretarial experience, including maintaining statutory books and records and ensuring good subsidiary governance
- Experience advising on employment matters, including in relation to trade unions
- Experience advising on POPIA/PAIA matters